Tuesday, March 8, 2011

More writing to a prompt

My daughter did another lesson on writing to a prompt today and ended up with another adorable piece of work. She did much better on focusing on the topic today than with the one she finished yesterday, and had fewer errors. She had trouble with misspelling words and a little trouble with run-on sentences but these are consistent weaknesses that we are working on. The ideas and the expression of though are marvelous, though, as always, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

Her prompt today was:

If you could be any animal, which animal would you be and why?

Here is her paper:

If I were an animal I would certainly be an elephant. Why is that, you say? Because an elephant is strong. It has the strength to lift up a full grown male human. It can even rip off a thick branch right from the tree!

Another reason why is because the elephant has pads on its feet so it walks quietly. But when an elephant stomps, another elephant can hear the sound waves through the ground. Here is an example: when a child elephant is playing and his mother is in trouble, the child can hear the stomps and comes to the rescue!

Another reason is because they can fight off predators like hyenas and lions with their scary tusks and large size. So that is why I want to be an elephant.

************

I corrected her spelling as I was typing and when I was reviewing her paper with her I made a few grammatical corrections, especially in the final paragraph. (She got lazy it looked like, and was sloppy in her sentence construction.) Her thought process is precious and the way she expresses herself in her writing is very engaging to say the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment